1. Nutrition: Eat a high fiber, low fat diet containing 30 % protein (mostly fish and chicken), 50 % carbohydrates (mostly composed of vegetables) and 20 % fats.
2. Exercise: Regular exercise, 30 minutes 3 times a week. 20 minutes aerobic...walking, swimming, etc...10 minutes strength weights.
3. Rest: You need 6-8 hours of sleep, not resting on a couch, per night. A person needs 3 to 4 hours of continuous sleep for the brain to rest. Lying on a couch rests the body, not the brain. Use a firm mattress.
4. Have a Good Mental Outlook on Life: Waiting for happiness is not an option.
5. Use Health-Care Providers: Go to doctors and exercise people who are trained and you can relate to and understand.
Joan May with Dr. Joe Murphy